Wensleydale BurgersPreparation time: 15 mins. Cook time: 12-15 mins
600g/1lb 6oz minced pork
150g/5oz Wensleydale with Mango & Ginger cheese
2 tablespoons chopped chives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 burger buns (optional)
450g/1lb vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
50g/2oz soft light brown sugar
1 tsp paprika & 1 tsp white mustard seeds
1) Make the relish: Put tomatoes into a saucepan with the onion and celery. Add the chilli, red wine vinegar and sugar then bring slowly to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the paprika and mustard seeds uncover the pan and cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring until the mixture looks jammy. Allow to cool.
2) Put the minced pork into a large bowl, crumble in the cheese, add the chives and season with salt and pepper. Using your hands mix together to make sure the cheese is evenly distributed.
Divide into four and with wet hands shape into patties.
3) Prepare a BBQ or grill pan to cook the burgers.
4) Mix the oil and soy sauce and use to brush the burgers on both sides.
5) Cook for about 5 minutes, turn them over and if there is any glaze left, brush the burgers on top to keep moist. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
6) If using the burger buns, either cut in half and place on the grill rack to toast, or toast under a grill. Place some salad leaves on the base of the buns, sit the burgers on top, add a dollop of relish and serve with the lid of the bun on top.