Wensleydale & Cranberry
Makes: 8 Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time:10-15 mins
200g/8oz self raising flour, sifted
50g/2oz Wensleydale with Cranberries Cheese grated
and extra for topping
1 pinch of cinnamon
100ml/4 floz milk
1 egg yolk
1 tub creme fraiche
1 orange, peeled and cut into segments or slices plus the juice
2 tbsp Cointreau or orange liqueur
1 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
1) Preheat the oven 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2) Rub the butter into the flour using your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3) Stir in the cheese and cinnamon. Gradually add the milk stirring with a knife until the mixture begins to stick. With your hand knead the mixture until a smooth dough is formed.
4) Flatten or roll the dough about 3cm thick. Use a 5cm round cutter to cut out individual scones.
5) Place the scones on the baking parchment. Add 1 tbsp cold water to the egg yolk and brush the tops of the scones. Sprinkle over extra Wensleydale with Cranberries cheese. Bake for 10-15 mins until golden.
6) Meanwhile, mix the creme fraiche, orange segments, juice, cointreau and icing sugar together. Remove the scones from the oven. Allow to cool before serving with the orange cream.